Sunday, June 16, 2013

Colette Peony

I finally found the time and sunshine to get some photos! I've been sewing a fair bit lately, but my creepy dark house mixed with non-stop rain makes for hard times for getting snappy.

First of all - the Colette Peony.  Remember ages ago I scored some beautiful barkcloth from the Paddington Antique Centre? Well, I did and it was a very exciting time! I cut this out Friday night, yes I know, what a rager, and had it completely finished by 4.30 the next day! I cut out a straight size 2, and didn't make any alterations, except instead of gathering the skirt at the waist I made pleats instead. The gathers with the heavy fabric were just not sitting right.  I then made a bow belt using Tilly's tutorial found here.  

Props to Colette patterns for making such a fabulous, simple pattern, A-line, boat neck, 3 quarter sleeves - A plus.  Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will lengthen the bodice a couple of inches as I have quite a long torso, and I would probably add a couple of inches to the skirt length, as I only sewed a tiny hem and it just sits a little higher than what I usually like.  But this is a winter dress anyway given the thick fabric so I'll be wearing it with tights and brogues I think! 


Here's a shot of the back


I have also been obsessively sewing gathered skirts because I love them. I made a black one not long ago and also recently made a denim version, seen below.  I originally bought the fabric to make another Colette Ginger but the denim is lighter in colour and weight than what I wanted so instead of wasting it I made another high waisted gathered skirt.


Then I made one for work in cream cotton sateen to try and tie in some of the earthy coloured tops I seem so fond of making, seen here with another Tilly bow belt and my modified Simplicity 2501.


I also made a Colette Sencha for my mum as a surprise gift but alas, it was too small for her, sad face.  I think it was the fabric I chose that made this such an unpleasant sewing experience and I don't know if many of you have tried this pattern out, but there was no way I could turn those skinny neck ties right way out.  I had quite the tantrum and instead used a black ribbon and covered some self-covered buttons in matching black for the back buttons.  This top wasn't great anyway with all the hand sewing and the key hole neckline pulls a bit so I don't mind so much that it didn't fit Mum as I'd like to sew her something amazing instead.  I've got some fabric to make the Mathilde blouse now that I know what size she is that I think she'll love.



I went into Lincraft on my lunch break on Friday and they STILL don't have any copies of Simplicity 1609 that I got so excited about a couple of months ago, so I bit the bullet and brought a downloadable version instead.  Then PrintSew failed to email me my login details and password so I had to chase them for it, sigh.  Anyway I finally got an email yesterday with it, so that should hopefully be my next project, I've got some black wool in my stash and want to add a lace collar.  I'm also playing around with good ol' New Look 6808, adding a tie collar to turn it into a pussy bow blouse with some very cool fabric so you'll be seeing that soon too.  

xx



5 comments:

  1. You are queen of the gathered skirts! And super productivity. Most impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been a busy girl!
    Cutting fabric on a Friday night...I do it all the time! And then spend Saturday night sewing!
    That Peony is gorgeous and I think I may have to get my hands on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have an obsession at the moment with gathered skirts! Just cannot seem to stop.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, I really love the floral blouse & Collette Peony :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've obviously been a busy bee and you've made some amazingly pretty things. I love the Colette Peony dress, the fit looks just right. Might need to get my mitts on that pattern now :D

    ReplyDelete